Turmusaya was originally called Thorinasia. In the book, Palestine is our Land, Dabagh claims Turmusaya is broken into three distinct parts (TOR-MASHh-AYYA). The part “tor” means mountain. “Mashh” refers to the “grape pulp left after squeezing the juice from them”. Lastly, “ayya” means humid. The other theory is, Turmusaya consists of two parts; “terra” which means land in Latin, and “messa” which means Messia. So, Turmusaya would mean, “Land of the Messiah”. Another popular belief is, Turmus was the name of a man who challenged a judge and did not pay his debts. When he left the villagers named him, Turmus Ayya. The new village he went to reside in was named after him.
Turmusaya is located 22 kilometers northeast of Ramallah in the occupied Palestinian territory. It is the last village in the northern side of the Ramallah district. The village of Singil is to the west, Abu Falah to the east, Al-Mazra’a Al-Sharkeeah to the south, and to the north is Kairut (which is located in the Nablus district). Turmusaya has an area about 18,000 acres (4000 acres of the 18000 acres is under Israeli control), and is 720 meters above sea level.
Turmusaya's climate is like the climate in central Palestine, which is rainy in the winter and hot and dry in the summer.
“Turmusaya is predominantly Muslim. In 1596 the population of Turmusaya was 216 under the OTTMAN empire. In 1933, the population rose to almost 717 people, in 1942 it rose to 960 people, and in the Jordanian census of 1961the population was 1620 people, seven were Christians. The Israeli Occupation government took their own census in 1967 and found there was 1562 people. In 1989 the population grew to 5140 people. 2500 Turmusaya residents currently live there while 66% of the total population are living in the U.S. According to the Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics, it had a population of 10,000 in 2009.”
Turmusaya's residents mostly rely on agriculture to make a living. Farmers depend on olive trees and fruit orchards as a source of income. They are most known for their olive trees.The main income flowing into Turmusaya comes from immigrants supporting and sustaining their village from abroad.
Most civilians who live in this region, move from their rural village to urban cities. This often plays a significant role in the rapid urbanization and developing of rural areas. The people in this region migrate to urban areas in search of job opportunities; which these jobs do not exist in the village. Most villagers immigrated to America, for job opportunities. They claim eighty percent of the villagers hold the United States of America Passport. During the summer season most of the villagers come back, and they spend their vacation in Turmusaya. Therefore most of the ceremonies and celebration take place in the summer.
The village has its own local government, but the Ramallah and Al-Bireh governorate are responsible for this village. This local government oversees the administration of the city and its residents’ demands. The village has two banks. They have all the services needed to maintain daily life. Turmusaya has three schools; one for boys and one girl's school, and another elementary school. Water services are provided by the Ramallah Water systems. Yet their water service is not that great. Most villagers depend on springs from mountains and wells for their water supply. Electricity is provided by Jerusalem Energy, and phone service is provided by the Palestinian Communications Company. Turmusaya has a new hospital on the northern side of the village. There are two mosques in the town: Masjid Abu Bakir Asadeek and the newer Masjid al Farook. An older mosque, non-functioning mosque is Al-Masjid Alqadeem ("the old mosque)." They also have a race horse track. They are currently building a indoor gym stadium with an outdoor track and field.
Transportation to this village is not so bad. After the intifada, Israel blocked some of the roads coming in and out of this village; especially since they lie close to an Israeli settlement. Besides this none of the wars, 1948 or 1967, has ever affected Turmusaya.
From what I observed, the people were suffering from what I call mental imprisonment. Turmusaya is located near the Shilo settlement and their municipal boundaries border each other. Much of the land of the village is used by Israeli for their settlements and security. Because of this, a large agricultural area is lost. An area that the villagers could have used to increase their income.
People in Turmusaya are forbidden to build on their own land, They use are C for cultivation of their crops.
“In the villages of Sinjil and Turmusaya, settlers ransacked villages, tagging walls with racist slogans.”
Turmusaya has always suffered by the hand of Israeli settlers. They destroyed their crops and uprooted thousands of trees. More land is slowly taken to increase illegal Israeli settlements in this area like all other areas in the West Bank.